Derek Ross BA, BAI, MSc, PhD, CEng, FIEI, FCIArb
Derek is a Chartered Arbitrator, Accredited Mediator, Panel Adjudicator, Neutral Evaluator, Delay Analyst and Chartered Civil Engineer.
Derek’s career started in 1969 as Research Engineer responsible for construction, design modifications and operation of a Shifting-Bed Hydraulic Model which successfully predicted siltation at Roadstone’s Jetty at Arklow Rock, County Wicklow, Ireland.
Since this time he has undertaken a wide variety of assignments, including projects such as:
- The design and construction of quarry approach roads and drainage and the supervision of construction of a cut and cover underpass under a major dual carriageway.
- The execution of tank erection contracts and the training of tank erection crews.
- The supervision of construction of steel sheet piled harbour walls, dredging, reclamation and revetment works at Arklow Harbour Development, County Wicklow, Ireland
- The pipe laying output and cofferdam design and construction on the Cork Harbour and City Water Supply Scheme pressure main contract.
- The construction of a 350 metre long box pile wharf from floating equipment, post-tensioning ground anchors, underwater rock blasting, dredging and reclamation and the construction of heavy duty reinforced concrete slabs and bridge beams on a variety of piled foundations all at Verolme Cork Dockyard Fitting Out Jetty Project, County Cork, Ireland.
He has also been involved with a variety of projects including supervision of fabrication and installation of Ro-Ro ferry terminal ramp, structural strengthening, refurbishment, surveying and demolition of buildings, design of piling, retaining walls, grain stores, warehouses, fire escapes, group water schemes, drainage and landscaping.
Derek was appointed arbitrator in a construction defects dispute, and was involved extensively as an expert witness in building defects and boundary disputes in court and in arbitration proceedings.
In addition, Derek has been responsible for all aspects of the running of a ground works contractor engaged in civil and building projects for London Underground and Hampshire Local Authorities and site development and heavy foundations for Industrial Clients.
Today, Derek represents parties in Adjudication, Arbitration, Litigation and Mediation specialising in Civil Engineering. He is also our Expert in Civil Engineering matters.
Derek provides construction contract and claims advice, technical reports and legal assessments, preparation of claims, defence of counterclaims, delay analysis and final account negotiations.
Also, where negotiation proves unsuccessful, services include preparation of formal submissions, advocacy and case management of mediations, conciliations, adjudications and arbitrations.
Recent party representative assignments include time delay, breach of contract and loss of profit after improper termination of contract, evidential matters on an NEC target price rail contract, advice on contractual risks and technical and factual research for a £40m ICC Arbitration relating to a shopping centre in Warsaw, Poland.
As part of our expert team Derek provides a range of construction contract advice and arbitration management services including audits of client's management and administrative procedures, evaluation of work-in-progress and advice on recovery of outstanding book debts, preparation of claims for extensions of time and extra payments arising from delay, disruption and contract variations, negotiation support to resolve financial and contractual disputes, comprehensive arbitration management and expert witness services in connection with building, civil engineering and quantum issues.
Derek’s also a member of the Society of Construction Law, The Arbitration Club and The Adjudication Society. He is Past Course Director of Adjudicator Training at the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and a Trustee of the Worshipful Company of Arbitrators Charitable Trust.